The Body’s Joints and Protection From Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is said to affect around 1.5 million individuals. Recognized as an autoimmune condition that presents with chronic pain in the body’s joints. It commonly affects regularly used joints like the shoulders, hands, and feet. The condition can begin to present in individuals in their 30s. Concerns that come with a rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis are the condition’s effect on the spinal facet joints. These joints are susceptible to attack from a dysfunctional immune system, leaving them prone to weakness, inflammation, and nerve compression. Chiropractors understand the manifestation of rheumatoid arthritis. They can pinpoint at-risk facet joints and provide corrective relief before more dangerous symptoms begin to present.
Facet joint risksThere are two facet joints that connect each vertebra to the one above and below. Their objective is to stabilize the spine, whether in a neutral position or engaged in flexion/extension movement. When targeted by the body’s immune system, the joints begin to weaken. The body attacks the synovial fluid that lubricates the joints. This creates friction that generates inflammation. Over time the joints break down leading to everything from loss of mobility to bone spurs. When left untreated the facet joints begin to deteriorate, causing nerve compression that can lead to permanent nerve damage. When the joints are not working properly the spine has to work around them.
- Disc herniation
- Ruptured discs
- Sciatica all are possible with facet joint dysfunction.
TreatmentCurrently, rheumatoid arthritis cannot be cured but symptoms can go into remission when treatment begins early. Chiropractic is an effective treatment at disrupting the symptoms of joint deterioration that stops the progression.
- It has the ability to increase and maintain an individual’s range of motion, from a condition that causes loss of mobility.
- It helps to bring rapid pain relief and helps with postural improvements.
- It maintains positive spinal health and homeostasis.
- Prevents problems with compression and subluxations.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises are incorporated to preserve an individual’s spinal integrity.
- Diet and nutrition are also adjusted to mitigate the effects, helping with inflammation prevention.
The spinal focusAs rheumatoid arthritis affects the body’s joints, it is vital to protect the facet joints. These joints can experience degenerative damage that can cause long-term problems. Injury Medical Chiropractic and Functional Medicine Clinic provide individuals with the tools necessary to combat rheumatoid arthritis that medications by themselves might not be able to.
Body CompositionMuscle building is not just for bodybuilders and athletes. Everyone benefits from building muscle for long-term health. Monitoring the changes in Lean Body Mass can be accomplished by having body composition measured. Body composition analysis can divide an individual’s weight into various components. These include:
- Fat Mass
- Lean Body Mass
- Basal Metabolic Rate will give a clearer picture of overall fitness and health.